Saturday, September 18, 2010

"You Got Peanut Butter In My Chocolate" Cookies

I FINALLY got the cookbook I've been wanting for a long time. Eat, Drink & Be Vegan by Dreena Burton. By no means am I a full-time vegan. I like to eat all kinds of food including meals with meat and chicken. I've cut back a lot of meat consumption and I'm always looking for tasty alternative meals. I turned to this specific cookbook because it makes vegan cooking fun and a good way to experience vegan meals. What can I say I love my vegetables but I love my steak too!


I've been wanting Eat, Drink & Be Vegan for a long time. I've skimmed through it at the bookstore and loved a lot of recipes in the book. She has a good selection of recipes that can be used "everyday" like for parties, romantic dinners or a simple weekday meal. I'm always looking for something new to introduce to my tasting palate. Vegan meals can be colorful, flavorful, healthy, and nutrition powerhouses! Dreena Burton does all that and more in her recipes. I've tried two recipes so far and both came together very quickly and tasted fabulous.

The cookie I will share with you today is fudgy, moist, cakey, and peanut buttery goodness! You will have to buy the book to get the actual recipe. I wanted to post it but seeing that no one else has this recipe posted on the Internet I decided to respect that decision. It really is a good book to have in your collection. If you don't tell people it is vegan, they will NEVER know and they will tell  you how much they love the dish you made. I promise.

"You Got Peanut Butter in My Chocolate" Cookies. What a mouthful of a name! This name was inspired by a 1980s Reese's commercial. Dreena loved the suggestion and I can tell why. After trying these cookies you get a good combination of rich chocolate and peanut butter blended in the batter. I actually felt like I was eating a peanut butter cup, but knew this cookie was way better for me. The cookie is wheat free and made with simple ingredients like unrefined sugar, barley or spelt flour, cocoa powder, pure maple syrup, agave nectar, and natural peanut butter.
                                                         

I did make several adjustments to my cookies. Instead of unrefined sugar I subbed in my new favorite item, Stevia. I also didn't have barley or spelt flour, so I just used AP flour, per Dreena recommendation in the book. I must pick up spelt flour soon since many of the recipes use it!


My father and my mom could not believe they were considered vegan. You can tell when I wanted this book they gave me that "eww" face. My new nickname at home is Vegan, well that what my father calls me.

Chocolate balls of goodness. I will admit, I tried the dough raw. SO GOOD!
I also surprised my best friend with a cookie. I told her they were chocolate peanut butter cookies. After she tried it, she said, "That was really good." I then said, "SURPRISE! They are vegan!" LOL. She was somewhat shocked, I told her how I made them and she totally had a change of thought. She really liked it.I believe you should try everything at least once! You just never know what you may actually like. Vegan or not!

A moist and crumbly cookie that is rich and buttery in flavor.
I picked my book up at Borders but you can also order it online at Amazon. No one told me to post links for the book or have this small review about the recipe. I did it for the good of the book because it really is an awesome cookbook!

Enjoy,
Fallon

3 comments:

The Duo Dishes said...

There's nothing wrong with vegan if it tastes good. We're not vegan either, but a good cookie is appreciated any day.

Robin said...

I have never seen such a large bag of stevia! Wow! These cookies look so yummy.

Debbie said...

I am thinking i'm going to have to buy this book...these cookies look delicious and I can't resist PB and Chocolate together!