Monday, September 26, 2011

S’Mores Fudge with Spiced Rum

What is a better way to celebrate my last week in Augusta; by baking up a storm. Actually it is just my excuse to clean out the pantry and make delicious goodies that Mike can take to class and share with the other captains. If not it goes in the trash and that is just a waste. I hate to waste!

Fudge is definitely more of a holiday thing for me because it is so rich and decadent. I’ve had this recipe bookmarked from the beginning of the year and just now trying it out. I don’t know what took me so long but wow was it delicious! She recommends to use a fat free condensed milk but when I came across a totally natural condensed milk in Earthfare that was just milk and sugar, I was down. Usually fat free condensed milk is just as high in calories and sugar, just less fat, which doesn’t make sense to me, get the real stuff! I added in all kinds of chocolate to equal 12 ounces, from dark chocolate chips, 72% dark chocolate, milk chocolate, bittersweet chocolate etc. I couldn’t believe how much chocolate I had in my pantry, hehe. The 1 ounce of rum was something I’ve never added to fudge before and will not be the last. It makes for a nice surprise.

 Cookies,Fudge,Lasagna

Fall is here, let the baking begin! This fudge reminded me of Christmas as I was tasting a few squares. I just can’t wait for the holidays to come, I’m excited for them this year! What about you?

S’Mores Fudge with Spiced Rum
Adapted from Steph Chows

Ingredients
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups (12oz) dark chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, etc
1 oz spiced rum (use Captain Morgan if you have it around)
1 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
3 graham crackers, crushed

Cookies,Fudge,Lasagna1

Directions
Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a medium sauce pan and bring to simmer over medium heat. Once simmering add the chocolate.

Fudge1

Stir occasionally until chocolate is melted and creamy. Pour in rum and stir until incorporated. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of mini marshmallows and 2/3 of the graham crackers. Pour into a parchment lined 8x8 baking square, spread evenly and add the remaining 1/4 cup mini marshmallows and graham crackers onto the top. Refrigerate until set. Once set, remove from pan and cut into 1 inch squares.

Fudge3

This is the first fudge I’ve made using a sweetened condensed milk without corn syrup. You know what? This fudge was SO CREAMY. It wasn’t hard or chalky which some fudge has been in my time. Even though the fudge was cold  from being set in the fridge, once you took a bite it just melted in your mouth.

Fudge4   

Always,
Fallon

 

 


 

6 comments:

Jennie said...

I have no words for this fudge...*saving* YUM!!!!

steph chows said...

I'm so glad you liked it! OOO and a condensed milk with only two ingredients! I'd be down using that too! I'll have to keep an eye out for it!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

What a great way to look forward to the holidays! That looks like very dangerous fudge to have around.

Katrina said...

While I wouldn't do the rum part, that looks like great Smores fudge!

Katrina said...

I might be slow or have missed it, but you're moving to Vegas? Are you happy about that?

cookies and cups said...

That looks amazing!! THanks for linking up :)