Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pumpkin Cornmeal Muffins

Okay so I FINALLY decided to make the Pumpkin Cornmeal Muffins I mentioned a while back when my mom was making her Turkey Taco Chili. My dad requested she make it with ground beef this time around, since he isn't a turkey fan. So I noticed I still had some pureed pumpkin to use up and this was screaming MAKE ME! I only made half a serving, 6 muffins. We each ate one and I put the remaining 3 in the freezer. Thinking about it, I freeze a lot of my baked goods and end up forgetting about them. I should see what I have lurking around. ;)

The recipe for the Pumpkin Cornmeal Muffins comes from the Wholefoods website. I think I printed this recipe out LAST YEAR and never made it till recently. I have so many recipes I want to make and then I never make them. I think it just a foodie thing many folks do because we save so many recipes and it becomes very overwhelming!

I made some changes to the recipe. The scaled down version of 6 muffins is below.

Pumpkin Cornmeal Muffins (Adapted from Wholefoods Market)
Ingredients
1/4 cup cooked, mashed fresh or canned pumpkin
1 tbsp flax meal, 3 tbsp water (Do this first and set to the side, it takes about 2 minutes to set)
2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 tbsp honey
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil or spray 6 muffin tins (I used a silicon muffin pan and sprayed it lightly just to make sure nothing would stick.). In a large bowl, combine, pumpkin, flax/water combo, and yogurt. In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, honey, baking powder and salt. Add this to the liquid ingredients, stirring to just combine (I added the honey to the dry and mixed it in, you can add to liquid instead, won't make a difference.). Do not over-stir or beat. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake 20-25 minutes, until muffins are golden and a toothpick is inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

They baked really nice in the silicon.
Check out the flax specks!


What's a pumpkin cornmeal muffin without
some pumpkin butter?


Chili with extra lean ground beef.
It was good but I liked the Turkey version better.


That's right baby!

They were absolutely awesome. I ask myself why didn't I make these sooner? They weren't overly sweet, perfect cornmeal crumble and the oil and butter couldn't even tell it was missing! To be honest with you, I didn't realize that I didn't add any canola oil or butter to the mixture. I was more focused on swapping out egg for flax that I totally forgot! Oh well because I didn't even notice it was missing, neither did anyone else. LOL

I'm off to roast some cherubs (baby tomatoes) and eggplant. So much work and so much food, I'm just cooking it up and throwing meals together for work. Way better then eating out any day, in my opinion!!

Happy Saturday,
Fallon

6 comments:

Lele said...

I always put baked goods in my freezer, too, to keep me from temptation. However, unlike you, I NEVER forget they're there, lol.

Katrina said...

That's an interesting combo I'd never even thought of. I have an open can of pumpkin. Hmmm. (I love cornbread, but my husband does not.)

Fallon said...

It is a really good combo too. You can't really tell there is pumpkin because there are no added spices which is a nice change! Pumpkin just has some good health benefits instead ;)

Ashley said...

Hmm, I have all of these ingredients in the kitchen right now =) And I think it would go perfectly with the Thai spiced pumpkin soup I'm going to make!

Ashley said...

So, I doubled the recipe. There are 4 adults in the house..and 5 muffins left. I ate THREE of them, hehe. Going to make some pumpkin butter tomorrow or the next day..mmm Thanks for "healthin" up the recipe! =)

Shelby said...

Looks great Fallon! I love pumpkin butter too! I will try these with chili myself this week! I love that there is greek yogurt in the recipe.