Friday, October 15, 2010

Goat Cheese Avocado Walnut Sandwich

Sandwiches to me aren’t always impressive. I rather just have a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich then anything else. About 2 weeks ago I was asked to be in this performance for an Old Navy Conference. I’m not a professional actor by any means, I was more of an extra with 1 line ;). It was in front of 1,400+ people and I spent several days rehearsing for the 2 hour performance. It was a great learning experience, I met some nice people and learned a little bit about acting!

I was surprised to find out that they were buying our lunches. They kept ordering from a place called ‘wichcraft. The menu was full of sandwiches from hot, cold, panini or breakfast style. I’m glad I wasn’t paying because the prices were a bit high and everything was ala carte like for drinks, chips, dessert etc. My first day there I right away picked a goat cheese sandwich with avocado, celery, walnuts and watercress on multigrain bread. WOW was this sandwich great. The goat cheese was creamy, the avocado was buttery, the celery offset the peppery watercress and the big doughy slices of multigrain bread was just what this sandwich needed. BUT.. my walnut pesto was missing. I was not a happy camper. I knew I could make this sandwich at home and it would taste even better.

GoatAvoWich5

Goat Cheese Avocado Walnut Sandwich

Serving 1 person

Ingredients

2 slices of your favorite whole grain bread, fresh

1 oz chevre goat cheese

1 oz avocado

1-2 tbsp celery, sliced

1 tbsp walnuts, chopped

Spinach or green of choice

Fresh ground pepper

Take out the goat cheese in advance so it has time to soften up and spread easily onto the bread.

On one slice of bread smear the goat cheese and smear the avocado on the opposite piece of bread. Place the celery on the goat cheese side, and the walnuts on the avocado side. Ground fresh pepper on both sides and place the spinach on one side of the bread and close the sandwich. Enjoy!

GoatAvoWich1

GoatAvoWich2

The walnuts add crunchy texture and a nutty flavor, making a good companion for avocado!

GoatAvoWich3

This is a Great Harvest Dakota roll. It is my favorite bread because it has whole grains, texture from sunflower seeds, millet, and sesame seeds.

GoatAvoWich4

This is my new favorite sandwich. So easy and portable. I feel good eating it and I love the amount of flavor this simple sandwich has to offer.

As for ‘wichcraft, this place was awful. Not only did they not put walnut pesto on my sandwich, but the following day I ordered a panini with cheddar cheese, ham and green apple slices. It sounded like a good combination but oh SO GREASY! I’ve had a panini before with cheese everywhere but never once greasy. They also forgot my cream’wich cookie. One of the ladies had to go back and when she brought it to me, it was the size of an Oreo, warm  and basically fell apart as I ate it. Did not enjoy it at all and was very disappointed. I kind of felt bad she had to go back and get it. It wasn’t worth it.  I’m sorry Tom Colicchio I love you and your great expertise on Top Chef, but this casual restaurant just wasn’t up to the standards I expected from your culinary background.     

With love,

Fallon

1 comment:

Pam said...

It's too bad your didn't have a good experience with the restaurant but the sandwich you recreated at home looks amazing. I love all of the different flavors and textures - yum!