Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Crustless Broccoli and Onion Quiche

After several posts being completely sugar, I figured it was time to post a savory meal. How about a protein and veggie filled breakfast to make up for all that sugar? That is what I thought!

Usually on Christmas Day it’s all about pancakes for breakfast! I went against my usual tradition and made this crustless quiche instead. It was the best decision I made. It was so easy to put together and delicious. It kept me full longer then a stack of pancakes covered in maple syrup    . The leftovers were great for the next morning or as lunch with a small side salad. You can definitely change up the way this quiche is made, like I did. I used egg whites, almond milk and spelt flour.

CrustlessQuiche1

Crustless Broccoli and Onion Quiche (From Wholefoods)

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1/2 large onion, diced

2 cup broccoli florets, cut into 1-inch pieces

4 large eggs (I used 1 whole egg and 5 large egg whites)

1 cup almond milk (any milk that isn’t sweetened)

1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste

Freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 cup spelt flour (brown rice, whole wheat etc.)

Dash of paprika

Directions

Preheat the over to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about three minutes. Add broccoli and cook about five minutes or until tender. Transfer vegetables to prepared dish.

In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cheese, salt, pepper and oregano. Whisk in flour. Pour egg mixture evenly over vegetables. Sprinkle with paprika (or if you are like me, you go a little overboard with the sprinkle) and bake until set, about 35 minutes. Cool quiche 10 minutes before serving.

CrustlessQuiche2

I <3 Paprika!

CrustlessQuiche4

Enjoy,

Fallon

No comments: