Monday, January 16, 2012

Hummus Burgers

Let me tell you, 50+ hours a week of work is rough. Thank goodness I have a great habit of packing my own lunch for work. The airport location for rental cars has no restaurants, not even a Starbucks. Just a little concession stand that sells popcorn and pre-made sandwiches. Gross! On Sunday, I’ll make a couple of things that I can bring to work during the week. My mom will cook up a ton of chicken and I’ll add that to a salad or wrap for work. I’ve been lacking in the veggie department, so I figure making homemade veggie burgers is a good way to get in more vegetables.

I found this delicious recipe for Chickpea Hummus Burgers at the Daily Garnish. It is so easy to make a homemade veggie burger because all the work is done in a food processor. I had to make some substitutes to the original recipe but other then that, these are amazing! I made 7 burgers and had one for work each day.

HummusBurger5    

Hummus Veggie Burgers
Adapted from the
Daily Garnish

Ingredients
1/4 cup spelt flour
1/8 cup sunflower seeds
1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup green onion
1 medium carrot (10-12 little carrots), shredded/finely chopped
1/2 cup dried parsley
1 tablespoon tahini
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
In your food processor add the carrots and pulse till finely chopped. Add the flour and sunflower seeds. Add the rest of the ingredients- green onion, parsley, tahini, lemon juice, oil garlic and salt.

HummusBurger1

HummusBurger2

HummusBurger3

Pulse until everything is combined and smooth. Don’t over process or the mixture will be too gummy. Wet hands and form 6-7 patties.

HummusBurger4

Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium-heat and coat with a little olive oil. Cook patties till browned on both sides.

I ate my hummus burgers over a salad or in a wrap. It was delicious and kept me completely satisfied!

Enjoy,
Fallon

3 comments:

Shelby said...

These look yummy Fallon! I would love to have this in my work lunch! Sounds like you have busy, busy weeks :o)

Anonymous said...

Love this idea - sounds and looks really delicious
mary x

Katrina said...

What a yummy, great idea to make hummus into burgers! I just made (again--third time) some fantastic basil hummus that is SO good. If you like pesto, and hummus, and combine them together--it's heavenly!
I got the recipe at www.zestycook.com
I'll have to try a patty or two of it in burger form.