Monday, July 13, 2009

Orange- Champagne Tomato Cucumber Salad


Las Vegas is getting HOT!! I'm glad I'm working all week because I'm indoors. When I have to run errands and getting in and out of the car, it just gets so nauseating. Like today after work I came home, and then my mom and I went to Costco. This is a work out on its own! We picked up tons of fresh fruit like tuscan melons, watermelon, nectarines, and a pineapple. Then we found the cherub tomatoes, and knew when we arrived  home I'd make one of our newest and favorite salad. Growing up we always made tomato- cucumber salads with red onion, with fresh mozzarella, or feta cheese. We'd dress it with EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and either red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. Seasoned with salt, pepper, fresh basil, and/or dried marjoram. Well last week my mom came home with something new from Trader Joe's. Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar, along with artichoke hearts in a jar. Her friend told her about this salad and that we must try it.


I took a picture in case you want to pick it up for youself!
 
This salad is so light for the summer. It is easy to make and so far everyone who has had it, loves it! The flavor from the vinegar gives a slight tang from the orange but really just enhances the entire salad. The artichoke hearts are very tender and compliments the dressing. I made it earlier so the flavors can marinate just in time for dinner. Not sure what I plan to eat my salad with tonight but I usually have it with grilled chicken, wasa crackers (rye cracker) smeared with avocado, or sprouted flourless whole grain bread with melted cheese on top. I try to keep it simple and light!

Orange- Champagne Tomato Cucumber Salad By Fallon 
Ingredients:
3-4 persian cucumbers (they look like pickles)
Couple handfuls of grape tomatoes
3-4 stalks of green onion (You can use red or sweet onion)
4 Artichokes with stems
1-2 teaspoons of EVOO
1- 1 1/2 tablespoons of Orange Muscat Champagne vinegar
Salt, pepper, and dried oregano

I recommend starting with cucumbers first and trying to get as much water out of them as possible. To do this, chop them up and sprinkle some salt on them. Let them sit for at least 30 minutes (you can then chop everything else up so you are ready to mix it altogether waiting on the cucumbers). Then drain the excess water and pat dry with a paper towel in the bowel. I chop everything together in a big bowl. Then I add my EVOO and the vinegar. Season with the salt, pepper, and dried oregano. Then toss together. Taste and add if you think it needs more seasoning or vinegar or oil. I try not to add as much liquid because the cucumbers and tomatoes produce plenty. The oil is not necessary but I think it brings everything together. Some people may think it is not enough oil, and if you feel that is the case, add some more! This is a great salad to bring to those summer BBQs and plus it is on the light side if you are trying to watch your weight! I've had this salad several times this week. I already have to buy another bottle of the vinegar! The bottle also tells you how else you can use this vinegar, like adding 2 tablespoons to a fruit salad, mixing 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to 2 tablespoons of vinegar to make a sesame dressing, and even marinating your chicken or meat with it!


Enjoy!
Fallon

No comments: