Wednesday, August 26, 2009

AHH-MAZING!

What is amazing you ask? Well I think Kate from A Dash of Sass was right when she said these were the best turkey burgers ever. I never give up on food, which means I still didn't give up on ground turkey meat. It is a great source of lean protein and it is a versatile ingredient for many recipes. I don't know about you but I always end up with dry turkey burgers. I would shave carrots, onions, fresh garlic, any vegetable I had on hand, to mix into my turkey burgers. I would add a dash of Worcestershire sauce in my burgers (it suppose to make them moist). In the end they always turned out dry. That when I made my first meatloaf consisting of ground turkey, worried it be dry but turned out super moist and delicious. Then I found the turkey burgers with the simplest of ingredients. A can of diced green chilies and salt and pepper. That is ALL! Along with my turkey burger I also had grilled sweet potato fries and grilled zucchini. The recipe for the turkey burgers can be found by clicking HERE.

Made 5 lovely patties. I mixed the ingredients in a bowl using a spoon, like Kate did in her video. Drizzled with olive oil so they wouldn't stick to the grill. At this point, they were VERY moist. I used my hands to put them on the grill because they started to fall apart using a spatula.
  This is smoked mozzarella. You must try this cheese, it is delicious! I didn't have pepper jack or provolone, and knew smoked mozzarella would pair extremely well with the green chilies in this burger.
 
No bun! I'm not a huge bread eater, and knew my carbs 
would come from the delicious grilled sweet potato fries!


I grilled my sides first, and the burgers last. Zucchini was a must because it is in season and tastes delicious on the grill. I tossed it in olive oil, salt, pepper and I used Mrs. Dash table blend for extra seasoning. The grilled sweet potato fries were inspired from a new blog I've been reading constantly called The Fitnessista. She had a grilled fest a few days ago and I couldn't wait to try them. I usually bake sweet potato fries in the oven, but they take forever and are usually mushy. Mine came a little more well done, I wasn't sure when they would finish cooking because they go on raw. So I figured once the grill marks came on strong, they were done! For the grilled fries I simply tossed them in olive oil, salt, pepper and cinnamon!

After they rest for a few minutes, they actually soften up even more.
  Everything together. Organic ketchup and 
sweet potato fries, delicious!
 
I had the turkey burger again for dinner tonight. It was even more moist and flavorful! I added fresh pico de gallo to the avocado and smoked mozzarella. Then I had the leftover fries and zucchini. I keep it simple! I've already shared the turkey burger recipe with several friends and they are excited to try it out as well. This is my new turkey burger staple. Thank you Kate for sharing! She also posted her first food making video using the turkey burgers! Definitely watch the video because you will pick up some good tips. I know I did!

Stay tune for this weekend. I still owe my father his birthday cake. Yes, his birthday was back in June and he still didn't get his cake. I'm a bad daughter, but I'll make up for it. ;) Does chocolate and apricot sound good? I know he is in for a surprise!

Gooodnight,
Fallon

1 comment:

Pam said...

A fantastic and healthy meal. I love grilled veggies.