Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's 5:30am and I'm making waffles!

Well I'd only make waffles for someone special that early in the morning. My boyfriend is pretty special, so it was worth getting up extra early to make him a good breakfast before heading back to Iraq! He had to be at the airport before 7am, so I wanted to make sure breakfast could come together quickly. I had buttermilk lingering in my fridge, and it was just going to be thrown away eventually, so I knew I could make pancakes or waffles. Waffles sounded so much better because I haven't used my waffle maker in forever! I went straight to my Better Homes and Garden cookbook for a waffle recipe and they had just what I was looking for. Buttermilk waffles! Since I didn't have time to melt butter, I used canola oil instead to make the process go quicker. With his waffles I topped it with a smear of butter, fresh berries, pure vanilla bean maple syrup, and a side of scrambled eggs. I started in the kitchen at 5:45am and by 6:20am he was eating breakfast. Not bad huh? Oh and one more thing. He said these were the best waffles he ever had! Guess I past the waffle making test ;) I think the buttermilk is what makes them taste just really good. They were light and flaky. They also had a great flavor which helps from the vanilla extract added to the batter.

I cooked them until they were extra crisp!

He already had one waffle down! lol
Okay I have a story now since we are talking waffles. Last year when I would go visit my boyfriend in Texas he always wanted to make me breakfast. I mean he used Bisquick for the pancakes, and one morning he actually made french toast. I remember he woke up and said I have to go buy cinnamon! I was so confused, but when I walked into the kitchen he was making french toast! No one EVER makes me breakfast, I'm usually the one in the kitchen making something for someone. So it was definitely a nice change. Well one morning, he took control of cooking once again (awesome!). He said, "Babe would you like waffles this morning?" I'm thinking, he has a waffle maker? Awesome! I said, "Sure!" He pulls out FROZEN waffles from the freezer and I said, "OHH I thought you had a waffle maker?" He started laughing! I should of known, a guy living on his own, probably wouldn't own a waffle maker. LOL

I actually found the recipe online for Buttermilk Waffles at the Better Homes and Garden site and you can click the link HERE to get it for yourself! They come together really quickly and make a lot of waffles. I think I made about 14 waffles? When I came back from the airport I was finally hungry. The waffles were soft again, but all you have to do is pop it in the toaster oven for a few minutes and they are crisp as can be! They also freeze really well too. Which is what I did with the leftovers!

With my babe leaving for the airport!

I have more yummy food coming up! So happy it is Wednesday!

I'll be back soon,
Fallon

4 comments:

Katrina said...

We just had pancakes for dinner. I prefer waffles, but the kids like pancakes better.
What a nice boyfriend to make YOU breakfast, even if it was just in the toaster! ;)

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in to say hi! How sweet of you to make him waffles! I love waffles!

creampuff said...

That is so sweet! Those look like some beautiful waffles. All my best to you in 2010!

Bridget said...

Mmmmm I LOVE waffles!!! Cute pic :)

about my granola...
its not a moist granola, more crunchy. I think in the past I usually use less dry ingredients and a little more oil (2-3T), which helps it clump togehter better although still moist. I imagine more oil would make it moister...or more wet ingredients in general and maybe cooked at a lower temp? You could experiment! However, this recipe is not a moist granola...really good though!