Friday, February 26, 2010

Broccoli Galore! Part 1

Hey everyone! Wow I can't believe a whole week has gone by since my last post! Just been really busy working and getting in my workouts. I'm behaving very well and as long as I don't bake then I'm good! Well except till this weekend. I'm baking one last care package for my boyfriend and it is a sweet one! So I gotta taste the goodies to make sure they are safe, and since I'm making something I LOVE I have to have several pieces set aside for me. Don't worry I'll share it with you guys later. Let's get to business now. Broccoli. Not only do I love this vegetable but I love have versatile it is. From steaming, sauteing, roasting, any flavor works with this vegetable! Plus it is green and it is healthy for you in many ways! The first recipe I have to share is my go to salad. Like this week I really had no time to fuss in the kitchen but I wanted a way to get my vegetables in, this is my salad. It is a broccoli slaw mix you can buy in the store and put together in no time! It tastes even better the next day. You can eat it salad style or put it in your favorite wrap for a quick lunch or snack on the go!

 
Fallon's Simple Broccoli Salad  
Ingredients
1 16oz bag of broccoli slaw
1/4 cup of Asian sesame dressing (Store bought or home-made)
3 tbsp nuts/seeds (almonds, sesame seeds, pepita seeds and/or sunflower seeds)

First empty the slaw into a large bowl so mixing won't be messy. Pour in the dressing and toss till everything is coated. In the mean time heat a skillet with nuts and/or seed selection. I like to mix it up and use several varieties in my salad. Today I used pepita seeds, sesame seeds, and almonds. Keep shaking the skillet and mixing the nuts/seeds till they are toasted but not well done. Basically once you start smelling the oils, they are done. Take off the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Then add to the bowl of slaw and mix everything together.


That is all. I use Newman's Own dressing because it is simple and I like how it tastes. A homemade sesame dressing or peanut dressing would taste really good as well because you can control the ingredients. Sometimes I like to add dried cranberries to the salad or I'll use a poppyseed dressing to make it a creamy broccoli salad. If I feel I need protein, I'll add a can of chicken breast (garbanzo beans for a vegetarian option) to the salad and toss it altogether. That is my favorite combo!


I have a part 2 to Broccoli Galore which will be posted sometime around Sunday!

Thanks to everyone leaving me comments! Tell me if you try oats in your barely empty jar of nut butter!!!
Heres to a great weekend to everyone, including me. I'm off. I deserve it!

Adios,
Fallon

2 comments:

Bob said...

Love it, broccoli salad is a good time.

Robin said...

I think broccoli slaw is the best invention. A great way to use up those hard stalks. I also like keeping it around since it seems so much healthier than plain lettuce.