Thursday, July 15, 2010

Grilled Turkey Breast

I think it is silly to wait all year for Thanksgiving to roast a whole turkey, and make up all the lovely sides to go with it. It is July and I want turkey breast!! The Proud Italian Cook had the same thing in mind with grilling up a turkey breast and sweet potatoes. She inspired me to buy a turkey breast and grill it up. I used her technique when it came to the rub except I used dried seasonings and lime zest.

I used basil, oregano, parsley, smashed garlic, salt, pepper, lime zest and olive oil. I kept tasting till I felt it was right, and pasty enough to rub down the entire turkey. The garlic was key and I added extra!

I kept the grill on a medium heat and cover down. I kept checking back on the turkey every 4-5 minutes. Since my meat thermometer broke on me, I didn't have one to test the temperature, so I had to cut into it to make sure it was fully cooked and juices were running clear. I believe the whole cooking process took about 30-40 minutes. It was probably a bit overcooked, but once I cut into it to serve it was very juicy and full of flavor from the rub. 

This was the best dinner by far this summer. The turkey was juicy, not dry. It had that grilled taste that you can't get from roasting. The rub was delicious, and the garlic/lime zest combination added a huge burst of flavor. I paired it with some steamed brussel sprouts, 1/2 a baked sweet potato, and a butter lettuce salad with red wine vinegar and olive oil.

Please check out the Proud Italian Cook. This is definitely one of my top 10 favorite blogs. She has great photography along with simple, quick, and healthy meals!

Buon Appetito!! ;)
Fallon

3 comments:

j3nn.net said...

That looks SO GOOD! I miss warm food, LOL. Yum, totally making that someday. I just picked up turkey legs for hubby, maybe I can use that and sniff them. hehe

Jenn

PS. Where's the name/URL options on comments?

Proud Italian Cook said...

Oh Fallon yours looks terrific! You can just tell by looking that it tasted amazing. I want to run out and get another one to try it with your lime zest! Thanks for the sweet comments, but I have to say your photos are gorgeous here!
Hugs,
Marie

Pam said...

I never think to grill turkey... great recipe!