Monday, July 19, 2010

In a Jiffy Curry Chickpea Burgers

Whenever I see something curry in the blog world it definitely gets my attention. It is a new spice I've introduced to my pantry and I'm loving it! Like when Ashley from The Edible Perspective posted her recipe for Curry Honey Hummus that was the first time I ever experienced curry. Just recently Angela at Oh She Glows took her jiffy burger recipe and transformed it into a Curry Chickpea Burger. In a Jiffy Curry Chickpea Burgers (Adapted from Angela, Oh She Glows) Ingredients: 15 oz canned chickpeas, drained and rinse 1/2 cup regular oats 10 baby carrots or 2 carrots ( I used 11 baby carrots for good luck.) 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil, melted 1-2 tsp water 1 1/2 tsp curry powder 1/2 tsp paprika 1/4 tsp tumeric 1/2 tsp sea salt, to taste 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper 1 tsp parsley flakes 3 tbsp raw sunflower seeds 1/4 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds) Directions Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside. *I used a pizza stone, I left it in the oven while it was preheating to give the burgers a nice crunchy outside.*

Love the colors.

In a food processor, process the oats, carrots and all the spices/seasonings for 30 seconds or until somewhat smooth. Now add in the chickpeas for 1/2 cup increments and coconut oil, stopping to scrape down the bowl as necessary. If the mixture is still a bit dry, add a teaspoon or two of water to have everything come together smoothly. Once the chickpeas are mostly processed and smooth, take the mixture and place in a medium sized bowl. *I left mine in the food processor, don't forget to remove the blade if you do this.* Stir in the sunflower seeds and pepita seeds. Wet your hands and shape into patties. Makes about 6-8 patties. Bake for 20 minutes and then flip over for an additional 10 minutes. Let cool and enjoy as a burger or on top of a delicious salad! And a delicious salad it was. I had made a tomato, radish and artichoke heart salad earlier with an orange champagne vinegar. Topped on a bed of romaine and a generous portion of crumbled goat cheese, this salad was popping with flavors! The curry chickpea burgers were the perfect topping to this salad. While the burgers cooked, it also toasted up the nuts that left a great flavor to counteract with the sweetness of the carrots and the tang of the curry spice. I'll be making these again because they took minutes to put together and minimal kitchen mess! Fallon PS: I think this is the year I'll be getting a new camera. Can you see how poor quality some of my photos have been lately? Blurry, grainy.. It is driving me nuts!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Chickpea burgers?? I'm game. I'll give 'em a try this weekend!

Fallon said...

They are really good cold on top of a salad! They are a bit dry when cold but that doesn't bother me. They taste amazing.

Shelby said...

Looks great to me! I'll have to try these. I know Grumpy won't eat them (he doesn't like chickpeas or curry!) but they would be great to take to lunch at work!

Fallon said...

Definitely something you can take to work. I'm going to freeze what I have left and see how they reheat that way.

Jennifer said...

Oh wow these sound SO good! I am always looking for a good bean burger recipe!

Pam said...

They look healthy and flavorful.