Friday, October 29, 2010

17 Bean & Barley Soup

17Bean3
All I want is a nice, hot bowl of soup! I like chunky soups, on the verge of being a stew. It has to have texture from vegetables, grains and legumes. Plus good flavor and seasoning is key. I’m not really a fan of smooth soups. I just get no satisfaction from them. I want a soup that keeps me full and satisfied for several hours! Trader Joe’s carries a wonderful mix called 17 Bean & Barley Mix. It is a bag of dried beans and barley with a recipe on the back to make it into a soup. Brilliant! A serving packs in 13g of fiber and 13g of protein. I’m so glad that they still carry this soup mix because it is so helpful for me to bring to work for a lunch break. It the easiest and best meal for the working holiday season for me! I know my store will be super busy and this soup will help me work through those busy times! If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, you must pick up a bag of this bean mix. It will  not disappoint! Thanks to my mom for making the soup for me. She has become quite the cook thanks to me guiding her on what she needs to do. ;)
17Bean1
17 Bean & Barley Soup
Ingredients
2 cups Trader Joe’s Bean & Barley Soup Mix (I just use the whole bag)
2- 32 oz vegetable broth
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrot, chopped
1 cup bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp. dried basil
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 bay leaf
1.2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 16oz Canned tomatoes
Salt and pepper, to taste
Soak the bean overnight (optional) in a large pot of water, then rinse and drain. Pour 4 cups of vegetable broth into pot with the beans. In a separate pan, cook onion, celery, carrot, pepper, basil and garlic in olive oil until soft. Combine this mixture and remaining ingredients into the bean pot and cover with more broth. Simmer covered for about 1 hour to desired tenderness. Be sure to occasionally check liquid level and add more broth if necessary. Salt and pepper to taste. Makes about 8 hearty servings.
Honestly this made more then 8 servings because my mom kept adding more broth and/or water as it would cook. The beans took longer than usual, but by the next day they were perfectly cooked. The soup is delicious and to top it off I paired it with my vegan cornbread! YUM!
17Bean4  17Bean2 

Buon Appetito,
Fallon

PS: Check out Fannetasic Food for a Mighty Leaf Tea & Mug giveaway!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Looks great, Fallon!! I love hearty soups.