Monday, November 8, 2010

Trying tempeh for the first time…

It is not that I’m a picky eater and I do believe in trying everything at least once. As for seafood, I’ve tried, I just can’t stomach it. The smell is gross and the word fish just creeps me out! Soy milk, tofu those items also scare me because of so many controversial issues behind these products. It is great to find protein in other sources but when something that is marketed as being good for you can but may actually cause cancer and mess with your hormones, I don’t want to touch it. Then I think about it and everything can cause something to harm your body. So I believe that everything in moderation is best! I drink soy milk on occasion when I’m out if it is a choice to add into my coffee drink. Tofu I really haven’t given a chance and after trying tempeh I’m definitely interested in trying it soon.

Tempeh1

I hope this will taste good!

Tempeh2

Look’s interesting…

Tempeh3

The green onions were a good addition to the casserole!

I’ve seen tempeh on several blogs and all the reactions were quite positive. It definitely has its own unique taste but in a good way. I have the hardest time consuming protein, so  I’ll take advantage of new protein sources like tempeh. I love owning Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. It has opened up my eyes to explore other sources of food and preparing in different ways. Plus vegan recipes are OH SO TASTY!

Tempeh4

Tempeh Hashbrown Casserole introduced me to the new protein called tempeh. I figured if it wasn’t up to par, I could mask it with ketchup or cheese. Except, I didn’t have to do that because this casserole was amazing. Just 260 calories a serving, it was very satisfying and tasty. It was also very simple to make as well using Yukon potatoes, tempeh, tamari, apple cider vinegar, green onions, rosemary, paprika and olive oil. You couldn’t taste like there was something soy in the dish, it tasted almost like bacon and potatoes. Thanks to marinating the tempeh in tamari and apple cider vinegar.

Tempeh5

Tempeh6     

The recipe is from the book, so you’d have to buy the book to get the recipe. No one is paying me to write this up, I’m just doing it for the sake of Eat, Drink and Be Vegan for being an amazing cookbook. Vegan or not, I love this cookbook and I’d think you’d like it too. If you know someone who cooks and likes different foods, they’d probably enjoy this cookbook as well! It would make a fun holiday present!

I’m glad to say my first attempt at trying tempeh was a success. Do you have a favorite tempeh recipe? If so, please leave me a comment telling me about it!

Let’s start this week off on a healthy note!

Always,

Fallon

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I actually bought some tempeh when we still lived in Kansas, because I've seen it on blogs, too, and it actually looks good. But for some stupid reason, I never ate it and it expired. I just might have to get some again and try it. (I don't care for meat either.)