Friday, February 4, 2011

Blueberry Buckle

I’m just always itching to bake something. I have A LOT of free time right now. I’m only working a few hours a week since business is slow. I’m working on my blog but that doesn’t pay any bills yet. So I’m working out a lot and cooking all the time. When the weekends come the guys enjoy their time at home by playing a lot of video games, watching TV and eating.

BlueberryBuckle1

My boyfriend picked up my DSLR and took this picture while I was making the buckle. Not bad for a first timer ;)

I noticed we had a ton of blueberries in the fridge and I was afraid they’d go bad eventually. I was thumbing through my book of printed recipes and found the blueberry buckle recipe. It has been over 3 years since I printed it out and watched Gale Gand’s show on Food Network.

Did anyone else watch her show Sweet Dreams? I loved it.

I honestly couldn’t remember what was so special about the cake, but I decided to make it. I gave the guys a bad description of the cake, I was like, “Well it is a cross between a crumble and a cobbler.” They tried it but my boyfriend said it was okay. He didn’t care much for the crumb topping. So I went to Google and asked him what a blueberry buckle was. Boy was I wrong. A blueberry buckle is described as a really dense coffee cake. NOW that made more sense. I thought it tasted pretty good sprinkled on top of my morning oatmeal or as a snack with my post-workout green protein shakes. Alas, the coffee cake went to my boyfriend’s SIL work. I hate seeing food go to waste.

Overall it wasn’t a bad cake. Serve this for a special breakfast, brunch with your friends or as a snack with a cup of coffee/tea. The blueberries popped in your mouth and burst with blueberry goodness. The cake was dense so a little goes a long way. This recipe makes a lot, so make sure to freeze some for another day!

BlueberryBuckle2

Blueberry Buckle Adapted from Gale Gand

Ingredients

1 cup sugar (used Stevia)

1/2 cup butter

1 egg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup AP flour

1 cup whole-wheat flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

Few gratings fresh nutmeg (a dash of pre-ground works too)

1/2 cup milk

1 cup fresh blueberries

Topping:

1/2 cup sugar (stevia)

1/4 cup AP flour

1/4 cup whole-wheat flour

1/4 cup butter

2 teaspoons cinnamon

Direction

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9 by 13-inch baking pan.

Cream the sugar and the butter in a mixer. Add the egg and mix well. Sift the dry ingredients and add them to the butter/sugar mixture, alternating with the milk. Fold in the blueberries and pour the batter into the pan.

Topping: Combine all of the ingredients using a pastry blender or in an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Sprinkle over the batter and bake for 35 to 45 minutes (This was done around 35 minutes for me).

BlueberryBuckle5

BlueberryBuckle3 BlueberryBuckle4

I served my slice with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt. Although if you serve the cake warm some vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream be delightful.

Enjoy,

Fallon    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious :) I'm such a sucker for blueberry coffee cake, muffins, pound cake... yum!

Katrina said...

Sweet Dreams was one of the first shows I'd watch on Food Network--that and Jacques Torres' Chocolate. Good stuff.