Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superbowl Sunday: Crock Pot Beef Taco Salad

Today is the day. Superbowl that is! We were rooting for the Jets over here but that didn’t go so well ;). Not sure what the fan favorite is with the guys at home but I’m going with the Steelers! Win or lose, I don’t care. We are going to have some good food while enjoying the game. The following week has been a bit crazy in El Paso because it snowed here! So far it has been 3 days with below freezing temperatures, couldn’t get to work for 2 days and we had snow days instead. Hey I’m not complaining ;). I’m a girl born and raised from Las Vegas, NV. This is a VERY new experience for me and I was so cold I never went outside. I took pictures from our computer room instead ;). For the Superbowl today,  I’m all about having fun, hanging out with my boyfriend and enjoying the game. Hello commercials, beer and good food. I’m in!

Snow2

Snow1

This recipe for crock pot beef tacos comes from the fun blog Picky Palate. I had this recipe bookmarked for a long time. I will usually have tacos with shredded beef but something about adding salsa and chili peppers to this meat mixture sounded delicious. Plus it stays in the crock pot to finish cooking and dinner is ready shortly. I turned my tacos into a fun taco salad with baby spinach, refried beans, plain Greek yogurt, avocado, green onions, cilantro, fresh lime and tortilla chips! If there was goat cheese, that would of gone in my salad as well! Make tacos, taco salad or even nachos using this beef mixture. It is full of flavor and would make for a great superbowl entree! I altered the recipe slightly but click this link HERE to get the original version.

CrockTacos4

Crock Pot Beef Tacos From Picky Palate

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 large sweet onion, finely chopped

2-3 fire roasted green chilies or 1 (4oz) can of fire roasted green chilies

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic salt and parsley seasoning

1 cup Herdez mild salsa, or your favorite brand

Directions

Place oil in a large rimmed skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add in the green chilies to  heat up. Next, add in the ground beef, salt, pepper and garlic seasoning. Cook until brown. Stir in the salsa and transfer to crockpot on low heat. Let cook on low for 2-3 hours or until ready to serve. Right before serving, stir in fresh chopped cilantro, if desired.

CrockTacos1

Limes, green onions, cilantro, spinach. Green and VERY fresh!

CrockTacos2

I love spinach.

CrockTacos3

I love tortilla chips…too. ;)

CrockTacos5

CrockTacos6    

Who are you rooting for? Steelers or Packers?

Fallon

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am trying this recipe today, it smells amazing!! Its already in my crock pot. Like you said very simple and easy!!