Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Green Peanut Butter Smoothie with Chunky Monkey Granola

This is currently one of my favorite ways to make a smoothie. It comes out thick and creamy, perfect for a granola topper. My chunky monkey granola works great on top of this smoothie. This is the perfect smoothie to have after a sweaty workout! It is packed with nutrients (spinach, banana) and protein. I recently picked up xanthan gum when I was in Las Vegas. I started adding 1/2 teaspoon to my smoothies and it really helps binding everything together so it stays super creamy. I’d highly recommend the purchase, it will last you a while!

ChunkyMonkey6

Green Peanut Butter Smoothie                                                               Serves 1 hungry person

Ingredients

4 ounces almond milk

4 ounces water, chilled

1/2 banana, sliced and frozen

1 heaping tablespoon peanut flour (Trader Joe’s or PB2)

1 scoop vanilla protein powder

1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

Dash sea salt and cinnamon  

Handful baby spinach

4-5 ice cubes

1-2 tablespoons chunky monkey granola

ChunkyMonkey3

Directions

Put ingredients in order and blend away. Depending on consistency you can add more liquid or ice. I tend to add more ice, for a thicker smoothie. Pour in a huge glass and top with chunky monkey granola. Eat with spoon and enjoy!

ChunkyMonkey5           I do the straw/spoon combo!

Fallon

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I discovered the wonder of granola on smoothies too and I love it. I don't know what it is exactly, but that sprinkle of granola on top totally makes it!

Anonymous said...

ive seen a lot of people using xanthan gum...maybe the next time im at the store ill pick this up! ive tried trader joes peanut flour before because someone told me to buy it to make peanut btuter with (mixing milk/water with the flour?) and i hated it. didnt taste like peanut butter at all like they told me haha....but in a smoothie this may just work....what does it taste like in a smoothie?

Fallon said...

@Christina: Peanut flour mixed with water isn't great. It is like peanut butter but it is missing the fat. I usually will add in some maple syrup and make it liquid enough for pancakes or ice cream.

And for adding it in the smoothies, gives it a hint of peanut butter! I love it in smoothies (main reason I use it for) because it gives you the peanut butter flavor without the calories!