Saturday, June 25, 2011

Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Protein Truffles

What is it lately with ME! My photos are off and the only thing I can blame is this apartment. There is no natural light near the kitchen or where our dining table is. If I make dinner, the photos will never be clear and a yellow tone. For instance, I made an amazing Mexican lasagna one night for dinner. It was so good but the photos were so bad that I refused to blog about it. Who else does that? Wish this place had better natural light.

Truffles4

Oh natural light, where art thou?

Then this recipe today was totally made up on the spot by me. I wanted to make my own nutella but healthier. I had toasted hazelnuts the other day and was inspired. I used cocoa powder, agave syrup, vanilla extract and coconut oil to loosen things up. I don’t know what happen but it turned out VERY gummy and not drippy,creamy like a peanut butter. I tried to spread it on bread for a photo, it was nearly impossible. It tasted really good though! LOL Maybe because I added a little water and ruined it! I just never saw it becoming super creamy and drippy :(.

So I was upset once again. Watched some TV shows like Cake Boss and the gypsy bride show.. I was inspired once again. Make these into truffles. I was still wanting to make them healthy and I needed to dry up the dough a little. I took vanilla protein powder and the nutella mess back into a food processor and it was finally easy for me to roll into balls. Placed them into the freezer and heated up dark chocolate with 1 tsp of coconut oil. I dipped the balls in the chocolate, let it set and I came up with Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Protein Truffles. They taste good, not too sweet and the hazelnut is very noticeable. I did nutritional stats on these babies, I rolled them into 12 balls and they came out to 165 calories each, with healthy fats, protein and dark chocolate! One truffle is the perfect bite and totally satisfying. Let me know if you try these out!

Truffles1

Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Protein Truffles
By Fallon

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups toasted hazelnuts, skinned
1/4 cup dark chocolate powder
3 tablespoons agave (any sweetener will work)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of salt
1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil, melted
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (approx~30grams)

Chocolate coating
2-3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon extra virgin coconut oil

Direction
In a food processor pulse the hazelnuts until it starts to form into a nut butter. Ass Add in the cocoa powder, agave and vanilla extract. Pulse again until combined. You may need to get a spatula to scrape the sides. Slowly add the coconut oil by the  teaspoon. Once combined add in protein powder and a dash of salt. Pulse till combined and starts to form into a ball. It is done when the mixture can stick together. If you want it sweeter, add more.

Truffles2

Ready for their chocolate bath, after hardening up in the freezer.

On a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper roll mixture into 12 balls. Save a little for snacking ;). Add to the freezer to harden up. In the mean time add 2-3 ounces of dark chocolate to a microwave safe bowl. Melt chocolate in 20 second intervals. Give a stir in-between. Once melted, add in 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. This will give the truffles shine and make the chocolate harden.

Remove truffles from freezer and roll into chocolate. Place back onto the parchment and let harden completely. To make this process go faster place in the freezer. Then ENJOY!

Truffles3

Truffles6

Truffles7   

They melt quickly!  

Truffles5

Enjoy!!

Fallon

PS: Yes I did type in ass when I meant add. One of those mornings!

3 comments:

Robin said...

Fallon you do know exactly how I feel as you have just gone through a big move yourself leaving those you love. I feel so sad lately! But I do hope Maggie and I will visit- must save my $$. Thankgoodness for FB, texting, email, and skype! I could go for some of these chocolate truffles right now, chocolate makes everything better. Thanks for your kind words and thoughts Fallon!

Kristen said...

You turned a flop into a success! Those truffles sound so tasty.

Katrina said...

I love delicious mistakes. ;) Yum to these. I hear ya about the light. I almost feel like our huge kitchen/living room has too much light and I have really dark counters, so I feel like I can't get photos just right either.
I've made homemade Nutella before and seems like with the same ingredients you used. I wonder if it just wasn't ground up enough??? I think the nuts should be ground to a paste before you add other stuff. (I didn't really check your recipe instructions to see what you did.)