Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Wheatberries with Balsamic Honey Dressing

I’m working a lot and that means I pack a lunch every single day for work. On the weekend I will make some sort of grain and whip it into a salad that I can put on top of lettuce, spinach and dress up with additional vegetables. Well here is another tasty wheatberry salad with a balsamic dressing sweetened with honey and a sweet/spicy mustard! I’ve tweaked it from my last wheatberry salad. That was a very popular recipe due to the roasted butternut squash and dried cherries. This salad is just as delicious but for a lighter appetite. The sweet and spicy mustard gives it a nice kick. You could add more for an even bigger kick!

Wheatberry1

Balsamic Honey Dressing

By Fallon

Ingredients

1/8 cup balsamic vinegar

1/8 cup apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 teaspoons sweet and spicy mustard (Trader Joe’s has a great one!)

2 teaspoons honey

Salt and pepper

Direction

Mix everything into a bowl with a wire whisk or shake up in a mason jar.

To prepare the wheatberry salad, make sure you have soaked and cooked the wheatberries. I measured out a 1/2 cup of wheatberries to soak and then cooked them in 2 1/2 cups of water. After they have cooled off place into a large bowl, add 1/2 cup sliced green onions, 1/4 cup Thompson seedless raisins, and 1/3 cup toasted chopped pecans. Pour dressing and mix to combine.

Enjoy!

Fallon

2 comments:

Tessa said...

I have never tried wheat berries, but this sounds like a great lunch idea!

Pam said...

I've never tried wheatberries but I see them at Trader Joe's all the time. Looks like I need to give them a try. This recipe looks tasty.