Friday, July 8, 2011

Broccoli, Mushroom and Cheese Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust

I’m at it again with another quiche for dinner. It is so easy, delicious and very high in the protein department. I love not using a pie crust and using potatoes instead. I decided to try it with sweet potatoes this time and it was a very nice contrast. Definitely sweet but went well with the savory. I didn’t add any ham or other meat this time, just extra vegetables. My boyfriend didn’t complain, which is a good thing. Isn’t it always? Heh. He really enjoyed it. I’m glad I can make a vegetarian dish for dinner some nights because it helps with my small income and it is a healthy and light dinner for me!

Quiche1

Broccoli, Mushroom and Cheese Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust
By Fallon

Ingredients
1 huge sweet potato, sliced very thinly
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 sweet Vidalia onion, diced
6 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
2-3 cups broccoli florets
1 roma tomato, sliced
1-2 green onion stalks, chopped
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
10 large egg whites, beaten
1/4 cup of milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray
Optional: avocado, sliced

Direction
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a pie pan with cooking spray. Layer thin slices of sweet potato in the pan, overlapping, to completely cover the bottom and sides. Spray with cooking spray again and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 7-10 minutes in the oven. Remove from oven and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and season to taste with salt. Saute the onions and mushrooms for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Add in the broccoli and cook till slightly tender.

In a separate bowl beat the egg whites and milk together and season with salt and pepper. Distribute the saute vegetables onto on the sweet potato crust. Add the egg mixture, sliced tomatoes and sprinkle the cheese on top. Sprinkle green onions on top and place the quiche in the oven for 30-40 minutes. To check for doneness insert a knife into the center of the quiche and when removed comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing. Garnish with sliced avocado on top and enjoy! Serves 8

Quiche2

Quiche3

Fallon

PS: I have my mom in town with me till Monday, so I’m going to enjoy my time with her. I still need to recap 4th of July and several other recipes. If we have some downtime I’ll try to get those posts out but if not… always next week!

No comments: