Monday, November 14, 2011

The Secret Recipe Club: Polenta Pizzas

It feels so good to be back and participating in The Secret Recipe Club. I missed a few months and couldn’t wait to start at it again. I can’t believe how many people are part of this club now. It is truly amazing.

For this month I was given the blog Penny Pinching Provisions. Robin has found a way to save money and not depend on using coupons. Thank you! I don’t get how the coupon people can get 5,000 bottles of mustard for free and if that is even necessary. I’m always looking for ways to save money at the grocery store but making sure it is healthy and fits with my dietary guidelines. I’m slowly easing into a gluten free diet and saw these cute polenta pizzas on Robin’s blog. She actually found the recipe through Trader Joe’s (my favorite store!). It is perfect to make after a long day of work. I can make these easily thanks to the premade polenta, that is sliced, top with sauce, cheese and in 20 minutes I have a healthy meal. I pair it with a side salad, glass of red wine and dinner is enjoyed. I added a little goat gouda and mushrooms for a different twist. Very versatile recipe and great to serve as appetizers as well!

Polenta7

Polenta Pizzas
Adapted from
Penny Pinching Provisions

Ingredients:
1 package organic polenta
Favorite marinara sauce
Ricotta cheese
Goat gouda
Sliced mushrooms
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Slice polenta into 1/2 inch thick rounds, 12 slices total. Top with a tablespoon of sauce and ricotta cheese. Place 1 sliced mushroom on each pizza and sprinkle goat gouda on top. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes and then turn broiler on for another 3-4 minutes.

Polenta5

The polenta rounds will crisp up and the cheese will be golden brown. Serve with a simple green salad and balsamic dressing.

Polenta6

Polenta2

Always,
Fallon

20 comments:

emily jane said...

These look great!

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Love these! I bet they would be the perfect football snack!

Penny Pincher said...

I'm glad you were able to find a recipe that was gluten free. There aren't too many on the site! These look great.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I can't wait to try this.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Fallon,
Your Polenta Pizza's are just awesome. This is a great idea for entertaining. This is a great pick for the SRC! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.
Miz Helen
http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/2011/11/brussels-sprouts-salad-with-warm-bacon.html

Patsyk said...

Love the simplicity of these mini pizzas!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

What a really, really great idea. I bet it would be good if you toasted the rounds of polenta before they went into the oven too. I'm so going to do this.

I hope you'll stop by to visit my SRC post for Honey Vinaigrette Grilled Chicken.

:)
ButterYum
http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2011/11/honey-vinaigrette-grilled-chicken.html

Amy Anderson said...

I've never tried polenta pizzas before. Sounds delish!

If you haven't already, I'd love it if you'd check out my SRC recipe for Crockpot Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal.

Lisa~~ said...

A gorgeous looking appetizer.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group 'A' SRC recipe this month: Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Amy said...

Oh, what a fun appetizer! So fun to be in SRC with you!

Jeanette said...

This looks like a really easy recipe, perfect for holiday entertaining.

Kristi said...

Ooh...those sound great. I've made something sort of similar before, but without the mushrooms. I think that sounds like a great addition.

Anonymous said...

what a great bite size snack that would work so well as a canape :)

Unknown said...

I <3 polenta, but I haven't made it in a long time.

Kristen said...

What a fun pizza! These sound scrumptious!

Vivian Thiele said...

Fallon, I had so much fun researching your blog this past month. You have a new fan :-)

j3nn.net said...

They look delicious! I like the use of gouda. Sounds yummy :)

Robin said...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving Fallon!

Anonymous said...

Simple and yummy. Any way to use that wonderful pre-made polenta is a favorite of mine.

Katrina said...

These look so good. I need to try polenta more. I've liked it the few times I've had it.