Sunday, December 11, 2011

Mandel Bread for Cookie Exchange

Today I’m heading to a cookie exchange party! I was busy baking last night for several hours. Remember the cookie exchange party I helped host last year? It was so much fun and I was kind of glad my mom had a friend who decided to try it out this year instead.

With my busy work schedule I didn’t want to make a complicated cookie this year. I wanted something simple, not too sweet and light to the taste. Ashley from The Edible Perspective shared a delicious recipe last year for mandel bread. I remember trying it out for myself last year as well and loved it. I shared it with some friends and at the end of the night only crumbs were left. This isn’t your typical cookie you’d see at a cookie exchange but it is one I enjoy. They are light and flakey from the olive oil. I cut out 1/2 cup of the sugar and used stevia instead. I like to cut up my Mandel bread into smaller pieces because then I don’t feel bad if I eat a few extra pieces. Or at least that is what I like to think. ;)

All you need for this recipe is 2 bowls and a wooden spoon. Ready, set, go!!

Mandel1

Mandel Bread
Adapted from
The Edible Perspective

Ingredients
3 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup stevia
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (the lighter the better)
2 3/4 cup flour, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder (very important)
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Direction
In a large bowl, stir eggs with a wooden spoon. Stir in the sugar and then the olive oil until combined. Keep beating till it turns a pale yellow. Add in the vanilla.

Stir in the sifted flour and baking powder slowly, in 3 increments. The dough should be stiff. Add more flour if needed (the dough should resemble a chocolate chip cookie dough). Stir in the nuts.

Preheat the oven to 350* and set dough in the fridge for about 15 minutes. On multiple baking sheets, lightly greased and floured, portion out the dough into 3 equal pieces. Spread around with a spatula into an oblong shape, until the dough is 1/2” thick and about 6” long. Make sure to keep a 2” space between the dough, to allow room for spreading. If baking only 2 pieces on one pan, leave 4” in between them. That will make larger cookies as well.

Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown all over. Pull out of oven and cool off for a second. Cut down the center and then width wise into 1” pieces. Flip on sides and bake for 5 more minutes.

Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to fully cool. It is important they cool all the way before storing or they won’t stay crisp. Any leftovers just store in the freezer!

I doubled the recipe and placed them into plastic bags to hand out during the party today. I can’t wait to see what everyone else is bringing. I really hope there are some yummy spice cookies!

Let the cookie feasting begin!
Fallon

 

No comments: