Saturday, March 3, 2012

Gluten Free Cowgirl Cookies

I’ve had a real sweet tooth lately and cookies was something at the top of my list. When I bake for myself, if it is often I try to make the recipe a bit more healthier. I want my sweet tooth satisfied, which usually means chocolate better be involved. I found this recipe for Cowgirl Cookies from The Bikini Baker. She has already healthified the recipe by using applesauce, stevia, ground oats and egg whites. Instead of using butter, coconut oil was substituted. I was going to make my own oat flour but saw I had brown rice flour in the cabinet instead. I decided to swap that and see how the cookies would turn out. They definitely have a different texture, softer and more fragile. I’d probably experiment more with the brown rice flour and add a teaspoon of xanthan gum to make them fluffier.

Cowgirl3

These look like healthy cookies but they taste really good. It is important to use really good chocolate chips, to satisfy that sweet tooth! This batch ended up making 32 cookies (instead of 24 cookies) for me. I’ll eat them before a workout or have them as dessert!

To make these cookies 100% gluten free make sure the oats you are using are labeled as being gluten free.

Cowgirl2

Gluten Free Cowgirl Cookies
Adapted from
The Bikini Baker

Ingredients
1 cup organic brown rice flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup Stevia in the Raw
1 large egg + 2 egg whites
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 cups gluten free rolled oats
1 cup chopped pecans

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

In another bowl beat the eggs and the coconut oil till pale yellow. Add the applesauce, stevia and vanilla; beat until smooth.

Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture. Mix well and then add in the oats, chocolate chips and pecans until incorporated.

Drop by tablespoon full (or a cookie scoop) onto a prepared cookie sheet. Do not flatten.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit on pan for a few minutes to set, then transfer to wire rack to full cool.

DSC_0877

Cowgirl1

I store mine in the fridge and in the freezer. These are really good right out of the freezer! Usually the stevia can add a bit of a bite but with the addition of the applesauce and chocolate chips, you can’t tell.

Enjoy,
Fallon

   

2 comments:

Tessa said...

I haven't tried coconut oil yet, but I keep seeing all these delicious recipes using it. Looks good!

Chelle B said...

I recently found out I have a gluten intolerance. It made my day to see a recipe for cookies. I need to try coconut oil. I hear so much about it.