Monday, July 26, 2010

No kitchen? No problem!


Since my kitchen is currently not functional, it's hard to cook a meal. It's either toast, something you stick in the microwave or eating out. I thought it be fun to share meals I'm making at home or eating out while the kitchen gets worked on. I want to keep my blogger's entertained. ;) Overnight oats is no surprise for me. It is great to have during the summer because it's cold straight out of the fridge, minimal mess and no cooking time! I've made overnight oats before and shared on the blog, like here. My favorite topping is always a nut butter and banana. I've tried other variations and always go back to what I love. It's cold, creamy and quick to prepare/eat. I'll be seeing a lot of overnight oats this week, that's for sure!

Always been a banana and peanut butter type of girl.

Fallon's Overnight Oats #2  
Ingredients:
1/3 cup or 40g old fashion oats
1/2 cup or 4oz vanilla almond milk
1/2 tbsp chia seeds (or swap for 1-2 tbsp of plain greek yogurt)
1/2 banana, sliced (save other half for the next day)
1 tbsp of peanut butter
Dash of cinnamon and salt

Pour the first 3 ingredients into a bowl. Mix together till incorporated. Next I slice 1/2 a banana into the bowl. With a fork, smash the banana till it breaks up into small pieces. Mix around and smash 2-3 times. Then add cinnamon and salt. Salt brings out the flavor and the sweetness in the oats. Place the oats in the fridge overnight. In the morning, slice the remaining banana on top and add 1 tbsp of peanut butter. If you want your peanut butter to spread easily, microwave for 15 seconds to loosen it up.

Don't you love my fancy kitchen plates and utensils?
I'm trying to finish up my chia seeds, I don't feel they like me very much. I love their consistency in oatmeal and the way they gel up but what they do to me some mornings, you don't even want to know!! Anyone else experience not nice things with chia seeds? I like flaxseeds much better. I'll be back with more eats without actually cooking. Well except if it involves a toaster or a microwave or someone else is making it. ;)

Happy Monday!
Fallon

4 comments:

Shelby said...

LOVE your fancy kitchen plates & utensils. ;o) REALLY love your oatmeal!

Bob said...

Mmmm, oatmeal. Looks great! Too bad you don't have a toaster oven, you can do all kinds of stuff with one.

Fallon said...

I do have a toaster. It just hard because we have no physical sink in the kitchen right now, so you can't wash dishes, utensils, etc. So fuss as to be a minimum right now!

Katrina said...

Yay for oats (though I've never done the overnight kind, I'll have to try that). But I agree with you on the toppings--my fave also!

Yay also for a new kitchen! It'll be worth the wait and the eating out.