Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Amazeballs!

Amazeballs3

Before we moved I saw this wonderful recipe created by Gina from The Fitnessista. She calls them Amazeballs and they are amazing. It has been almost 2 months since my food processor saw any love and I knew these “balls” would fit that bill. In actuality, I’m looking for protein type snacks that are tasty, easy to make and require me to use ingredients I already have in my pantry. It is so much more convenient to just stock up on protein bars from the store but they contain a ton of unnecessary ingredients. Plus they add up in the $$$ department too.

I decided to try out these balls of protein. The recipe is designed to make only 4 balls and is a good way to try them out to make sure you will like them. I loved them, so I plan on quadrupling the recipe. I also tweaked some of the ingredients to change it up a little. My protein powder is not vegan but I’m very happy with this brand.

Amazeballs6

Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Cashew Protein Balls                            Adapted from The Fitnessista

Ingredients

2 tablespoons of vanilla protein powder

2 tablespoons of creamy cashew butter (drippy consistency works best)

2 tablespoons of unsweetened coconut

1 tablespoon pure maple syrup

2 squares dark chocolate with sea salt (they were small squares)

Pinch of sea salt, stevia and cinnamon

Direction

In a food processor add the protein, cashew butter, coconut and pulse until the ingredients are well incorporated.

Amazeballs2

Amazeballs4

Add the maple syrup, sea salt, stevia and cinnamon. Pulse again- the mixture will start to clump together. Add in dark chocolate by breaking up with your hands. Gina mentions you can really add anything like dried fruit (she recommends berries) and I think some crispy rice puffs be a fun surprise!

Amazeballs5

Pulse together one more time to finely chop the chocolate, and to make sure the mixture will be good enough to form into balls. It should feel wet but enough where they form a smooth ball and aren’t sticking to your hands. If you have this consistency, then roll it into 4 balls.

Save in a small reusable container or a snack bag for pre and post workout snacks. I like these as dessert some nights too!

Check out Gina’s page where she posted the stats. I’m sure these are pretty similar in numbers as well.

Amazeballs7     

If you like the taste of raw cookie dough, these taste just like it! Except these have protein and are actually good for you. These have good ingredients that are good for you. So long bars at the store. I’m into amazeballs now!

Fallon

No comments: