Friday, July 1, 2011

Delicious Fresh Berry Tart

BerryTart2

Luckily my weekends are a time to relax and unwind. I get to spend more time in the kitchen and test out new recipes. Now that summer is here we’ve been invited to a lot of BBQs. They ask that you bring an appetizer and your own drinks. It works out really well and is just a good time to meet new people and hang out. I just wish it wasn’t so humid and hot outside! I’m sweet sugar for those mosquitoes!

I found this delicious fresh berry tart recipe while grocery shopping at Publix. I was shopping for future meals and for a BBQ I had to be at in 3 hours. We had plans to pick up some tasty cupcakes but that left us no time and at the moment no dessert. Luckily, Publix was demonstrating a delicious berry tart made with honey Greek yogurt and a premade shortbread crust. I had a sample and couldn’t believe HOW GOOD this was. Very light, not very sweet but tangy from the Greek yogurt. I picked up all the ingredients and literally had the tart ready in 5 minutes.

The only unhealthy thing about the tart would be the premade crust. I saw the ingredients, squirmed and realized I wouldn’t have time to make my own. Oh well, its not an everyday thing where I eat shortbread so I went with it. At least there was honey Greek yogurt and fresh berries that made up for it. You must make this for your next BBQ. There were practically no leftovers it was that good. I’ve got to check out more of these Publix quick recipes, hopefully they are as good as this one.

One serving clocks in at around 160 calories and 5 grams of protein. Not bad for dessert ;).

Fresh Berry Tart
Adapted from Publix

Ingredients
2 (5.3-oz) containers nonfat Greek yogurt with honey (OR 1 1/2 cups of plain Greek yogurt and 4 tablespoons of honey)
3 cups fresh mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and/or strawberries)
1 prepared shortbread pie crust
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar

Direction

BerryTart4

Stir yogurt to blend in honey; spread one container of yogurt over pie crust. Place one-half of the berries in a single layer over yogurt; repeat both layers.

Sprinkle with sugar. Chill until ready to serve. Makes 8 servings

BerryTart1   BerryTart3

 

Fallon

PS: Fallon’s Cucina now has its own Facebook page. Please go to Fallon’s Cucina Facebook page and like it. There will be blog updates and random comments made by yours truly!

No comments: