Sunday, March 18, 2012

Wheat Free Brownies with Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

I couldn’t wait to share this recipe with you guys. I’ve been eating these brownies all week. At first I didn’t really like them but after 24 hours of cooling off they were super rich in chocolate flavor and were more dense/firm in texture. Kind of like a cake brownie but with the chocolate chips mixed into the batter they also had a fudgy texture. For gluten free I’d say these taste pretty darn good! I love baking with coconut flour. A little goes a long way and really absorbs all the moisture from the wetness. I couldn’t believe that these brownies called for 6 large eggs but in most gluten free baking, eggs are used as the leavening.

I’ve been enjoying these brownies with coffee.

Brownies1

Brownies2
I love my coffee cup, too cute!

I’ve been enjoying these brownies with red wine.

image 
One of my favorite red wines right now, blended with zinfandel, syrah, cabernet sauvignon and merlot. Picked it up at Wholefoods!

I’ve been enjoying these brownies with sunflower seed butter spread on top like frosting.

Brownies5

No one else has been eating my brownies so I’ve been slowly working my way through them. My dad doesn’t like “healthy” things and chocolate gives my mom headaches. I guess I win! I need to find gluten free friends to share all my creations with ;).

The original recipe for Wheat Free Brownies is at this link. They are made by a girl named Alison, I wonder who that is? I made a few tweaks to the original recipe and I love how they turned out. Coconut oil makes everything SO moist in baking. You can’t even taste coconut when using it, which is great. The pictures make the brownies look dry but I can assure you that they are very dense and tasty. A little goes a long way, even though I can have more then 1. ;)

   Brownies3 

Wheat Free Brownies with Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Adapted from
Let’s Do…Organic (Edward & Sons)

Ingredients:
1/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 large eggs
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup Stevia
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 cup semi- sweet chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan over low heat, blend coconut oil and cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs till they turn a pale yellow. Add the sugar and vanilla. Blend about 1/2 the egg mixture into the cocoa mixture quickly so eggs don’t curdle. Add the rest to the mixture and blend till combined. Stir in the coconut flour until the batter is no longer lumpy. Add the chocolate chips, if desired. Bake in a pre-greased 8x8 baking pan for 30-35 minutes.

Brownies4

Cool completely. If you do eat these warm, they will taste a bit off but still tasty.They were enjoyed with smears of sunflower butter as the frosting.

Enjoy,
Fallon

No comments: