Friday, April 1, 2011

Quinoa Salad Recipe + More Favorite Spring Recipes

How is everyone doing? I’m currently getting ready for my big road trip. I can’t believe how much stuff I actually own. Even with  items I’ve donated I still own a lot of stuff! Moving is hard work and this is already the second time this year I’ve had to move EVER! Crazy how life can just turn around but like I said I’m ready for the adventure.

I have a delicious quinoa salad recipe to share with you from Clean Food. This was a great side dish to have with BBQ. So much nutrition is packed into this side dish, that a green leafy salad is not necessary! My favorite part about this salad was the addition of fresh mint. I’ve never used fresh mint before because I was scared of it. I went lightly for my first time and next time I’d use the suggested amount. It was very refreshing!

Quinoa6 

Mangoes have been so delicious lately, and when I saw this salad I knew I had to make it. Make sure when you pick  your mangoes they are slightly firm and green. They are just about ripe at this point. This recipe makes 8 servings and can be easily doubled if you’re invited to a potluck BBQ this summer!

Don’t forget I’m posting some of my favorite spring recipes and I have more below to share with you!

PS: I slightly altered some measurements to my salad and that is what I have posted below.

Quinoa2

Quinoa and Black Bean Salad with Apricot Lime Vinaigrette

From Clean Food

Ingredients:

6 cups cooked quinoa, cooled

1 16oz can black beans, rinsed and drain

1/2 cup chopped red onion

1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced

1 cup peeled and diced jicama

1 cup halved cherry tomatoes

1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds

1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds

Vinaigrette:

1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons lime juice

1/4 cup apricot nectar

1 jalapeno, seeded and minced

1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

To make quinoa, follow the directions on the package. This site explains it perfectly on how to prep and cook your quinoa.

Place beans, onions, mango and jicama in large bowl. Fluff cooked quinoa with fork, add to bowl and gently fold to combine.

In small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Fold in tomatoes, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds just before serving.

Quinoa1Quinoa3Quinoa4 

Favorite Spring Recipes continue:

Light Tastes:

Cantaloupe3

Cantaloupe Wrapped in Prosciutto

image

Curry Honey Hummus

image

Marshmallow Fruit Dip

image

White Bean Hummus with Fresh Thyme and Basil

image

Caprese Salad

image

Broccoli Salad (My FAVORITE!)

image

Shredded Cabbage Slaw with Radishes, Raisins and Dijon Dressing

WheatberryWF12

Wheatberry Salad with Dried Cherries, Roasted Butternut Squash,
and Toasted Pecans (Another FAVORITE!)

AsianWheatberry5

Wheatberry Salad

Always,

Fallon

No comments: